Re: Opinions on missing voice patches.

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, Will Godfrey wrote:

If a MIDI message is received calling for a voice bank that doesn't exist what
do people think should happen?

Leave everything exactly as it is

Chose a bank closest numerically to the one called for

Switch to a default bank

Any of the above with a warning message

In general, I would expect that if something fails, nothing happens, but I do get a warning. If on the other hand, the app can be run command line only for headless use, an option (-q) to fail silently makes sense.

By "nothing happens", I mean that everything remains as is.

My reasoning is that if there is some change in sound, then my first impression is that my bank change worked. Then if the sound I do get is not what I expected, I think I have loaded the wrong bank or set of banks rather than there being something wrong with the bank itself. If the sound does not change then there is audible feedback that something has not gone as expected.

These are just my expectations as a user. I don't know if there is a "right way".

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net