Re: Is CentOS good for audio stuff?

On 24/12/14 16:05, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
On 12/24/2014 09:34 AM, Roberto Suárez Soto wrote:
I'm thinking about switching to CentOS (from Ubuntu) at home, because of
several reasons, but wonder: is it good for running Ardour, Jack and
related stuff? I don't mind using Ardour 2, as I don't need anything
very sophisticated, and would only want something that I can configure
once and stop worrying about. I do sysadmin work for a living, and would
rather not do it when I get home :-)
My opinion is that almost any distro will do but some take more time to
set up than others. CentOS might be a bit behind with the current
versions of some applications but maybe it works with the
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/ repositories. But if you
feel comfortable with CentOS, go for it!

Best,

Jeremy

I'm still on their mailing list although I haven't tried the distribution for years now (have been using Ubuntu Studio for some time but keep on meaning to try some others as not 100% happy...) Anyway, to the point. I remembered there being a post about getting it to work with CentOS 7 as the last officially supported version was 5. This was the thread, so it might be worth picking it up again to ask how he went on after some more time with it...

http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2014-July/018365.html

Regards, Dale.