Re: i5 Hyper-Threading, BIOS settings and Arch n00b pointers

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014, dale wrote:

Although that still begs the question of whether it being turned off in
BIOS/UFEI before or after installation actually makes any difference...

(hyperthreading) can be turned off after boot by telling the kernel not to use either odd or even numbered Cores. I do not think doing it in the bios is better or more effective as the idea is to make sure one thread does not interfere with another. The only difference I could see is that it may be that the bios switch may remove power from the secondary thread parts of the chip for cooler running, but I do not know.

It should be possible to turn off the use of cores on the fly so that one could have a low latency record session with less performance and a higher latency mixdown with more performance (or video processing/editing).

I am just thinking that the P4 I gave to my son still has HT turned off, I should turn it back on.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net