Re: [Bulk] Re: Audacity on Ubuntu 14.04 is REALLY unstable

On 08/18/2014 04:45 AM, James Stone wrote:
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 02:21:56PM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

You can also try jack. Audacity uses jack in a very weird way, as soon
as you roll audacity autoconnects to the first outputs it finds and
disconnects once you stop rolling,

That's only one of the many apps that claim to support Jack but
get it completely wrong. In many cases, but not always, portaudio
is to blame.

Personally I think the way Audacity handles audio on linux is very bad
- doesn't manage to do Alsa, Jack or Pulseaudio right as far as I can
see (if I don't run jack it endlessly changes the sample rate on my
card - making lots of clicks and pops as it takes over 1 minute to
start up!). I tried discussing problems on their forums but to no
avail.

I use Audacity on 2 different machines, both 64-bit Debian Sid, with a UCA-202 USB sound card on the laptop and the now-working-again (YAY!) Audiophile on the desktop. With or without JACK, Audacity never changes the sample rate as you mention above. Doesn't take a minute to start up, either.

I think there's some more fundamental problem with your system setup than Audacity. Maybe Audacity's difficulties handling audio just make it more sensitive to the fundamental problem than other apps.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx