Re: Audacity on Ubuntu 14.04 is REALLY unstable

On 18/08/14 16:19, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 10:07:13 -0400
Alan McKay <alan.mckay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi folks,

I took Audacity out of apt and wow is it unstable.  Constantly
hanging.  At least it is able to recover most of the time after a
restart - except for once last night where I lost my LP rip.  It was
bearable before then but now I want a better solution.

I've used Audacity a little on Studio Ubuntu 14.04 with all updates. Nothing problematic there, but I don't use it very hard. Just a little recording from Microphone and general editing. I used to get occasional hangs on 12.04 but they always recovered on restart. Sorry I can't be more help. Studio is slightly different from standard Ubuntu - which one are you using.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Any solution in mind?
Should I pull down one of the daily builds from Audacity and try it?
Or build from source or something?

My Ubuntu is fully updated.

I was also thinking of trying CentOS7 to see how that does.

thanks,
-Alan
Hi Alan,

are the crashes reproducible? Is there any pattern to the crashes?
What is your configuration (record/play through PA, ALSA, jack)?
What sort of work do you do? What sort of operations? Do you have
massive file sizes?

Regards,
Philipp

David McQuire