Re: Kxstudio RT kernel vs low latency

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014, Russell Hanaghan wrote:

Is anyone achieving significant audio latency gains or xrun stability using a RT kernel with Kxstudio or similar Ubuntu studio distro's?

If so, which kernel / where /do I gotta roll my own?

To be honest, I don't know how I could see a difference. I am running lowlatency right now and see no xruns at all with .6ms latency no matter how much I have running. Concidering the audio card has a 1ms latency to add to that... There is nothing to gain by going lower.

To be honest, hardware, bios and system settings have more to do with things than the kernel. For example, I do not think a RT kernel will make any difference to a machine running hyperthreading or ondemand, both will make for higher latencies for stable operation.

The second thing to remember is that multicore CPUs have changed the way lowlatency can be achieved.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net