Re: Measuring the acoustical characteristics of my studio using FLOSS software?

On 07/23/2014 06:14 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 07:52:52AM +0200, Gabriel Nordeborn wrote:

So, my question is: How on earth do I do this?! Are there FLOSS tools
available for this? Is it easy to do something as basic as this?

It's not basic and not easy.
If you want to correct your system after the room is finished, the
DRC software <http://drc-fir.sourceforge.net/> is the way to go.
Make sure to read the excellent documentation, all of it, so you
have and idea of what you're doing. It will explain some of the
hairy things I hinted at earlier. DRC will produce IR filters
which you can use with jconvolver (or with any other convolution
processor). The result will be much better than when using e.g.
a graphic EQ, because DRC does things that a simple equaliser
can't do.

A good reference here:
http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2008/download/papers/18.pdf

----
AMBI@Home ­ The search for extra­frontal intelligence
Linux Audio Conference 2008, Cologne
Jörn NETTINGSMEIER
----

Although the paper talks about an Ambisonics rig at home, it also dwells on room correction and DRC (which is good for Ambisonics and everything else).

I'm doing the same in my home studio and DRC does help (but of course it is not magic)...
Good luck!
-- Fernando