Re: Phone to computer adaptor

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014, Bob van der Poel wrote:

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Len Ovens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

      Plug it in and see what differences it makes to arecord -l and aplay
      -l

Ummm ... plug it in? The "real" phone only comes with a regular phone jack.
Surely you're not suggesting I get out my solder and destroy something :)

I meant the skype phone :) but from one of your other messages it seems you already know it is an alsa device.

      POTS phone:
      - expects a dc voltage across the line. Not so phantom, phantom
      power...
      - expects 600ohm match... depends on how old it is though, newer may
      be less picky
      - runs audio both ways on the same line... this may be more difficult
      to deal with. (echo cancelling)

      Better to use two separate lines... prolly what the skype handset
      does.

Most likely. My computers just see it as a usb card. Actually, I have an
el-cheapo headset with a mic which works the same way. Guess I just want to avoid
getting out the solder stuff ... you really have no idea what a mess I can make
with this!

Nothing wrong with practice  ;)

If you need more phones to practice on, visit your local "goodwill" store (place where people donate their old stuff and the store sells it for some non-profit org).

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net