Re: Embertone Friedlander Violin on Linux - was Re: Recommended near-realistic strings section generator?

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014, Aiyumi Moriya wrote:

I think you can as a backup run pulse audio. I had issues using alsa
directly

I heard so many bad things about Pulse (also concerning screen reader
software which I depend on) that I'd rather not use it.

Most of what I have heard about Pulse being bad is old (and personal). It is more usable with jack than many other ways of doing things. On a modern machine (multi core, reasonable Ram size) using jackdbus as the source/sink it works quite well. Even at 2.7ms ( -p 64) latency for jack. I use it for running skype into idjc for example. Some of the default settings are youtube skewed (sample rate 44.1k for example) but they can be changed. Anyway, Pulse is in active development, many problems I had even two years ago are gone.

However, In your case of using it as a method of connecting a sound generator to Jack. I think it would be a case of try before you buy. If you do not have pulse installed now, I do not think I would install it just to try. You have latency critical use and have had problems with it and your screen reader. I would try it on a live media first that has most of what you want installed.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net