Re: Sound Chip as a synthesizer on Linux. Thoughts, ideas?

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014, Fede wrote:

Just started reading a lot about the commodore 64's SID and just found
out lot of my childhood's games actually run the audio on actual synths, which freaked me out totally.

Anyway. These are still just ideas, because the topic is very vast;
there are lots of different sound chips, and I'm even considering getting a c64 to use it as a sort of assembler csound, if that makes sense.

Have you seen this one: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html ? The c64 is not the only older computer with such a chip. But probably the best. I have one of the general instruments chips here somewhere, but as far as I know it has no internal filters, though it does have adsr (sort of). Radio Shack used to sell them... long time ago :) I can see why the SID is so popular... I will have to see if my brother in law still has any c64 around still.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net