Re: HW upgrade - new computer

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

Len Ovens wrote:
Memory: 8G, all one stick, which is slower than two 4G sticks...
    maybe not the best choice, but seems ok.

I doubt that the difference is measurable, let alone noticeable.
In any case, this allows easier upgrading to 16 GB. :)

That was my thought too.

Disk: 2TB sata about 5 years old (as I recall)

Nowadays, not using an SSD tends to be the bottleneck.
(But this is probably not the case for streaming audio.)

I have to be careful where I spend my money... so one thing at a time. What I have is already a very big step up from what I had.

I chose this MB because it had three pci slots

The PCIe/PCI bridges built into chipsets are reliable, but motherboards
that have a separate chip for this tend to use cheap crap.

Your ASM1083 is infamous.  Revision 1 was unusably buggy; rev. 3 mostly
works (except for virtualization).  Which one do you have (lspci)?

PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev d5)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d5)

I am not sure which is which. The first may be the express port.

ASUS was nice enough to list the irq layout of the pci(e) slots in the
user guide.

"Nice" isn't enough, it should be _correct_ (which was not the case for
my last Asus manual).

Most of my MB manuals so far have had nothing and so I have had to try various slots and see what I get. In any case cat /proc/interupts tells me I have two clear irqs for my two PCI cards.

Anyway, PCIe devices that support MSI use a completely separate
interrupt line.  (USB3 ports, graphics, and built-in audio should be
harmless then.)

I have no PCIe devices at this time.

--
Len Ovens