Re: What I learned from Bitwig

On 04/03/2014 03:56 AM, Aurélien Leblond wrote:
I used Bitwig demo for 30 minutes - from the video presentations I
found it looks like a tool that could really fit my workflow (I hope
by saying that I'm not going to start another massive discussion about
what is a real musician or not...).

I just hope that these 2 cents would show why I decided to try the
demo, why I didn't stick with it (and spent the 300 EURO) and why I wish I
could have.

--== Why I tried the demo - because there are lots of videos of it on
Youtube! ==--

Trying software takes time - as Fons and others mentionned before,
using music software to see if they fit what I want takes time and
effort... And I admit, I'm lazy...and I like to spend my time at other
things than trying software for hours to realise it is not what I
want... So I checked demos on Youtube... In 10 minutes I can see a
summary of what it can do, how is the workflow, how it sounds and I
make a decision if I'm going to try it or not (please please not
judgement here, and I can't really be the only one!).
A colleague of mine who is an amateur musician (Windows) as well told
me the last software he bought, he chose it because it had more
Youtube tutorials than others (again, we can judge all we want that
process, but that's the way people roll...).

I have started to do that with ams-lv2 and other plugins that I have
have worked on... 5-10 minutes video on youtube, takes me 2 to 3 hours
to do (and I'm sure I'm going to get faster at it... or hope anyway)
but I had a few friends comment that it gave them a good idea as to
what can be done with Ingen and that they would like to try it (I'm
sure with a gentle push I'll get one to install GNU Linux and try the
audio suite!).

So yeah... my first 0.66 cents... we should make more
videos/demos/tutorials of our tools/workflow/sound to show case.

About learning via videos: Demos, OK. But how to do something specific with it? I've used products at my office that think online help should all be video. What a waste of time! I learn much faster from good documentation (another Achille's heel for a lot of Linux software. I'd rather have good documentation.

On my shiny new Haswell laptop, I can either have JACK running and do audio, or listen to the soundtrack of a YT video. In both cases, the only way the YT video runs is if I click on the video window and constantly move it around. Something to do with the "not-quite-there-yet" Haswell graphics support, I guess.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx