Re: Bitwig: what we can learn from it

On 03/30/2014 03:10 PM, rosea.grammostola wrote:

It's true, the attention to workflow and needs of musicians of Bitwig is impressive. I'm sure I'll be aware even more of it's possibilities if someone shows me what you can do in Bitwig exactly.

On the other hand, looking at Bitwig I'm not sure whether I should be more impressed by Biwtig or by the achievements of the linuxuadio community, of what is possible with Floss Linuxaudio already. And yes impressed also by the technical infrastructure. I mean, what you get from Bitwig is portaudio, that's almost a shame for a 300 euro app from a linuxaudio-user pov. Also it lacks OSC, LADSPA, LV2 and NSM support. Stuff you'll find in Ardour for instance.

Also the quality in sound(instruments/samples) they give you for your 300 euro, is not impressive for me, don't get fooled. But this seems to be cultural thing, the acceptance of low quality sound.

My conclusion so far is that Bitwig gives you what Linuxaudio lack too often, smooth workflow and 'completeness' of features. This is a major thing for people who want to make music!

On the other hand, apart from very sophisticated features for making beats etc., a lot could be possible with Linuxaudio tools or is already possible today.

The challenge today is to make Linuxaudio tools more friendly and complete for musicians and integrate them better with each other. With metadata in JACK, NSM, OSC it should be possible to improve this more and more. It would be nice to launch Non-Timeline in a NSM session with Carla and control Carla by Non-Timeline via OSC for instance.

Oh and we need to improve and polish our MIDI sequencers on Linux