Re: Proposal for 'lo-fi' music competition

On 03/19/2014 08:10 PM, Simon Wise wrote:
On 20/03/14 05:58, david wrote:

I couldn't tell. I don't think I've ever heard stereo AM. They
probably compress
the bejesus out of AM stereo transmissions, too, because they have to
overcome
the same problem regardless of frequency range (variable signal
strength), right?

no .. signal strength is a more significant problem with AM, the audio
signal is based on the amplitude envelope of the carrier signal, while
in FM the frequency of the carrier signal is varied according to the
audio, and the receiver follows that. That is of course a
simplification, but they are quite different.

Cool, thanks for clarifying that.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx