Re: internal sound source for Audacity

On 03/05/2014 11:45 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

On Wed, 5 Mar 2014, Brian Hagen wrote:

I have an unusually pleasant surprise here: a MIDI wind controller
can drive a software synth without even having both of their apps
running. I would like to be able to get the resulting audio-signal
that is an output from this (normally sent to the PC's speakers)
redirected to Audacity's input-selector so that I can record it.

Yes you can use jack for this.

  - Audacity auto connects and so you need to manually disconnect and
reconnect.
  - Audacity does not connect until record is started. The best thing to
do is hit pause, then record, then make connection changes in jack, then
unpause to begin recording.
  - Audacity is not listed in jack under it's own name but the name of
the library it uses to make jack ports.
  - The name of the port for audacity changes every time you hit record
so this can not be automated... maybe with wild cards.

For just recording, I would use mhwaveedit which works with jack
"properly", that is it makes jack ports as soon as started and they
remain as long as the program is running. Once the wav file is recorded
there may be some editing tasks that Audacity does better (some of the
built in effects).

Or you can use jack_capture to record the WAV file, and process it afterwards in Audacity.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx