Re: APC devices for Audio

On 27/02/14 04:24, Ivan Tarozzi wrote:

Il 25/02/2014 09:10, Carlos sanchiavedraz ha scritto:
Hi Carlos,
I'm developing an industrial application for a client using APC Rock.

I'm using Android, so I can confirm that linux runs on it and you can
find kernel and uboot here:
https://github.com/apc-io/apc-rock

I never tried a "standard" linux ditributions, so I can't tell about it,
but I fear the VIA support against linux is absent.

I suggest you look at some better supported board.

just my2c

Ivan

Thanks so much, Ivan.
It's really helpful to have such a warn before wanting to purchase one
of those and make my life trickier, most of all when surely I would
try to put Musix inside that would have some driver problems (it's
100% free/libre based on Debian).

I liked the book-style one, but now maybe I'll go some other way.

Regards.

Hi Carlos,
I fear you can't put musix on any ARM board. Pay attention to the arch
when you download an iso.
I can't find any musix ARM version in the musix mirrors.

Of course you can start from a debian (or other supported distro) and
then add the programs that you want.
If a packet is absent in arm repo, you can of course compile yourself.

So, consider all that said when you plan to buy a board and download
software for it.

Now I have a beaglebone black on my desk. I haven't found spare time to
test it, but next days I hope to try the debian  for BBB.

Here some references:
http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone+Black
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:Debian_On_BeagleBone_Black

I have no idea about debian repo for arm, I don't know if all packages
that I found in my amd64 repo are present in arm repository.
Or I could be for the Ubuntu way (I dislike a bit, but here the UBUNTU
ARM wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM)

ARM is a very variable target ... debian has two ARM versions which will suit some devices .... and are a reasonable starting point for trying to get a new device working. There is a raspberry specific repo based on one of them, where a huge amount of work has been put in to make it run well on a raspberry ... that work depended in part on support from broadcom and is possibly the biggest thing that makes the raspberries an interesting platform for me.

Getting GNU/linux running on a specific ARM device is serious work, the manufacturers have often put work into running Android/linux but that is a very different platform. Ubuntu is working on supporting some phones with its GNU/linux, which could be nice to have.

Simon