Re: 'Reverse' gates?

On 12/31/2013 03:34 AM, Tweed wrote:
On 12/30/2013 08:38 PM, Andrew C wrote:
Hello everyone,

Is there a ladspa plugin that is a 'reverse' gate of sorts? i.e removing noises louder than a certain db, but keeping quieter ones? Or do I need just have to learn how to use gates properly?

Thanks!

Andrew.

I think you could set up a parallel opposite polarity gate that would do this:
Channel 1 - Ungated.
Channel 2 - mult of channel one gated, opposite polarity.
They get summed to the same ch/buss.  ie.  they are not respectively panned L and R
when these 2 are summed and gate is bypassed >> the 2 chs sum to null.
when gate is active and closed you just hear ch1.
when gate is active and open loud parts getting thru gate on reverse polarity ch 2 phase cancel the corresponding loud parts on channel 1 closing dynamically to leave the softer parts.  it requires accurate channel sync.
I messed around with this a few years ago trying to make a poor man's roger nichols dynamizer multizone compressor with just parrallel busses,gates,compressors.  it kinda worked :)

--
the-temp-agency.com/lollipop-factory

--
the-temp-agency.com/lollipop-factory