Re: A2J-MIDI Bridge error

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013, Kevin Utter wrote:

The uname -a shows:
Linux StudioLinux 3.5.0-42-generic #65~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 2 20:57:18 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Studio is just its name reflecting location, it isn't a special blend of Linux.

I would sugest that installing linux-lowlatency would make a difference as many of the settings depend on having the access provided in the lowlatency or RT kernel.

Lowlatency vs. RT:

RT is a patched kernel. It does provide better latency performance, but there may be some problems with those code chunks needed for video or wireless etc. On a Ubuntu system you would have to roll you own.

Lowlatency is the same as the generic kernel with one or two config changes when compiling that allow some preemptive operations like setting interupt priorities for example. It is precompiled and can be installed with apt-get, synaptic, The kde variants... who knows, maybe even USC

I have only one audio IF (at least I only use one at a time) and use the lowlatency kernel. I am able to get less than 1ms latency with no xruns when I turn off hyperthreading.... of course the audio card itself has 1ms delay internally that is not included in that :) Anyway, in my case the RT kernel would not add anything. This is also true for most USB audio IF as their lowest latency is around 5ms as determined by their smallest buffer settings. RT kernels might help when using more than one audio card at a time. Note that a MIDI IF is not an audio card and is treated separately even if it is a aprt of the same card as the audio IF. The MIDI port is just a serial port that is treated specially. It is not even that fast.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net