Re: [Music] Prog supergroup's first outings

On 2013-11-24 23:26, Bob van der Poel wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

No problem, many thanks for listening and commenting.

https://soundcloud.com/quirq-uk/julius-quintus-as-a-cloud

Nice piece. My only complaint is that when the flute part gets a tad
harsh (not sure if that's the right word), like you're having trouble
getting all the notes. I'd prefer to hear those runs more easily
played.

I'm glad you liked it, despite my crappy flute playing.

Tone sadly never was one of my strong points (along with vibrato, breath control, technique... ;-) ) and certainly isn't these days as I don't play or practice anywhere near often enough.

I'd always intended practicing the part more and doing a better take when I wasn't so tired: I seem to recall my lungs being on their very last legs so to speak when I recorded it. I was definitely running out of air at various points, but I've never had good lung fitness even when I played regularly.

There are parts where the tone is okay, but a lot of it is far too breathy for my liking. I suspect the "good" tone bits might be the ones that you find a bit harsh. Some of the runs were certainly not as fluid as they could've been. I did learn from the experience that it's not a good idea to try writing, practicing AND recording a wind part all in one go!

https://soundcloud.com/quirq-uk/julius-quintus-time-to-go

Nice tune. I'm not sure if guitar was the best choice of inst. for the
melody. I'd have chosen something else ... flute? Or even a big organ
sound? Well, I would have chosen sax, but that is my main instrument
these days :)

Again, glad you enjoyed it. Whilst I am a keyboard player, I do find it necessary to counter Julien so that ruled out more keyboard parts and it wouldn't have been his worst Floydian nightmare with anything other than guitar, so I had to oblige :-D

But the choice of instrument came first and the melody second. I'm not sure a flute solo would've been big and epic enough for the piece, certainly not with my skill level. A Jaxon or Collins-esque solo could've worked nicely.

No capes, Persian rugs, curries, knives or ice rinks were harmed during the
making of this music.

Damn. Not being a fan of curries I'd hope you would have arranged for
less of them in this world :)

Yeah, I'm not really a curry-eater either and people tend to assume you are in this part of the world. I'll never give Wakeman a run for his money in the keyboard stakes either :-D