Re: fltk linking problem

On 10/05/2013 02:27 AM, rob wrote:
On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 22:47:20 +0100
Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Over the last few weeks I've been going through Yoshimi with a
fine-tooth comb bug hunting, with some success (and much
frustration). I'm doing this on my 'office' computer which is running
debian testing on a 64bit AMD - fairly similar to my music machine.

During the week, I did an update via synaptic and now suddenly when I
try to compile Yoshimi it fails to link, giving the message:

Linking CXX executable yoshimi
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfltk.a(Fl_x.o): undefined
reference to symbol
'dlsym@@GLIBC_2.2.5' /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2: error adding
symbols: DSO missing from command line collect2: error: ld returned 1
exit status make[2]: *** [yoshimi] Error 1 make[1]: ***
[CMakeFiles/yoshimi.dir/all] Error 2 make: *** [all] Error 2
will@debian:~/yoshimi_20130926/src$

The investigating I've done suggests that something has changed in
cmake so that yoshimi now needs a more 'correct' identification of
fltk. I sort of gathered that cmake.txt was the place to look, but
doing so tells me nothing. fltk is there but none of the information
really makes sense to me.

Although I don't like doing anything experimental on my music
machine, I can do that for the time being as it is running an earlier
version of the distro but presumably the new requirement will
eventually hit the stable releases.

Can someone help me sort this out please.

P.S.
A current version of ZynAddSubFX doesn't have this problem, but the
build structure is now very different so I couldn't find any points
of comparison.

Been getting the same problem with various builds. It's something to do
with linking libraries that has changed recently. Maybe a developer
can explain. What I've been doing is adding the missing link to the
build files. In your case adding -ldl to src/build/CMakeCache.txt,
after you have run cmake. I added it to both C_FLAGS and CXX_FLAGS

CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="-ldl"
CMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING="-ldl"

No guarantees but it worked for me.

rob

Outlined here: https://wiki.debian.org/ToolChain/DSOLinking

It's been this way in Fedora now for a while. A better explanation here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnderstandingDSOLinkChange