Re: M/S EQ in Linux

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Ricardus Vincente wrote:

On 09/11/2013 05:06 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

 Then I would suggest you listen on a more linear playback system. How
your mix translates in a crappy system should be of no interest to you.

Listening on systems with a limited response can help to produce a mix
that works well everywhere. If a mix doesn't work on such a system,
it probably means that it tries to balance the bass by boosting the
lowest range and is lacking energy in the higher bass range.

Or it could just mean the system sucks.

I mix on SLS S8Rs (and Genelec 1031s) in a decent room, and my mixes
translate. It simply is not possible to get your mix to translate on
every system. To worry about making it translate on every system is an
exercise in futility.

Ok, points taken from everyone. I just wanted to aim for that because somehow, perhaps through secret elvish magic, commercially made mixes sound fine on my car's stereo, so I thought there was something worth pursuing there, however incorrect that system's response curves might be. Whatever is wrong with it, the big studios can deal with it, and I can't...so I wondered what it is I'm doing different.

You are right though that if it plays on most speakers, it's pretty much fine.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky