Re: Custom UI development in Pure Data

On 01/09/13 03:26, Heikki Ketoharju wrote:
Hi everyone!

I don't know if this should be asked in LAD, but I'm fed up with Pure
Data's own gui components, and would like to develop my own gui with
something else (GTK? QT?). I don't have earlier experience with any UI
toolkit, so I don't have any favourites. What is easiest approach to custom
gui development with PD?

I need something like list boxes and buttons with custom text. Nothing too
special.

You have some choices:

1/ use whatever toolkit you prefer to build your GUI app, and send messages to PD over a socket. Pd is a language, you don't need to use the GUI parts of it at all ... it has very mature ways of listening to input of all sorts.

2/ ditto, but send osc or midi instead of native pd messages

3/ ditto, but use real hardware interfaces rather than the somewhat limited ascii - mouse - screen interface of most toolkits.

4/ use libpd to give access to lots of PD from within the GUI application you are building

5/ look at droid party for a project that provides another GUI method, using libpd internally, for making interfaces on Android (and iOS) devices.

http://droidparty.net/

All these have advantages, but of course they all involve more work than just using the GUI elements built into the language.

Simon