Re: alsaplayer error using USB Audio DAC

I meant to share this last night but sidetracked. These are the specs from the DAC packaging, fwiw. Does this help to address format/capabilities questions?

On Aug 9, 2013, at 5:12 AM, linux-audio-user-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 10:58:49 -0400
From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Linux Audio Users <linux-audio-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: alsaplayer error using USB Audio DAC

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Len Ovens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Generally for trouble shooting I would hit the card directly:
alsaplayer -i hw:1,0 filename.flac

aplay --device=hw:1,0 filename.flac

aplay can't handle anything but straight PCM formats. in addition, using
hw:XXX means that the requested data format MUST match the hardware
capabilities. if you ask for a sample rate or channel count not supported
by the hardware, the device configuration will fail. this is why the
"default" device with ALSA is never hw:XXX but at minimum plughw:XXX (which
can do just about any format conversion necessary).