Re: [Music] Two little tracks

On 06.08.2013 15:35, Alf Haakon Lund wrote:

On 05. aug. 2013 17:47, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:

Hi,

getting back into Renoise a bit lately. So here's two rough cuts. One is
more experimental than the other :D

https://soundcloud.com/fps-2/check-refrac

https://soundcloud.com/fps-2/whence

Have fun,
Flo

The check track wasn't my cup of tea, too much of what I connect to "techno" - lots of sounds, but not much really happening.

Strange then, that the same could be said about whence, as I like that one a lot more. It has a vibe of 70's minimalistic krautrock and a more organic feel I think. Almost like it could be played on acoustic instruments.

Thx for sharing!

Hi Alf,

thanks for your comments. These two tracks definitely lack in arrangement. I find in electronic music (even more so than in, let's say, the traditional pop song format) there's two "poles":

- Repetitiveness: This is where electronic music becomes meditation. This is especially true for music made for particular settings

- Surprise: And with this come all the traditional ingredients of what makes a good song aside from a catchy hook.

When playing with a tracker or sequencer it is easy to get "caught in the loop" and more often than not I find myself caught on the repetitive side. Definitely in these two tracks it's the same thing. Whence at least has _some_ harmonic movement going (the short interlude of A minor between the longer D minor parts).

When playing jazz or samba/bossa nova with a band (I play guitar, too) it's much easier to get some movement going than in sequenced music. Maybe it's also just a workflow issue. I'm working on it :D

Have fun,
Flo