Re: MIDI Port names in Jack

Hello Kevin!
I'm not sure about your portnames, but with -Xseq (in JACK 1), my MIDI port names look like this:
alsa_pcm:Emu10k1-WaveTable/midi_playback_4
This is very long, but for automated purposes this is OK. I could cut&copy and paste it into any script. But there's jack_alias, this could rename ports for you. Since your ports do change names or numbers, this might not be the best solution neither. As far as I know, jack_alias can rename a whole client, not a single port. With j2amidi_bridge you could patch a JACK port thought to ALSA. You'd still have to connect a softsynth port to it. But soft synth ports should have the usual names. Other hardware ports can be connected directly through ALSA sequencer. I can send you my example .midishrc off-list. There's more than just a device setup, there are some convenience functions to connect new ports on the fly.
  I hope, this did answer your question, at least partly.
  Kind regards
          Julien