Fwd: OT: My soundcard is attacking me!!

Ok, well not *really* but it sure feels that way.  I've got an Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card. It has a headphone amp that switches on and off with an audible *click* if i switch from speakers to headphones.  The problem is, if i do it while i'm wearing my headphones or if the power switches off while i'm wearing my headphones there is a SNAP in them.  This really hurts, and i'm worried that i'm doing damage or may have done damage to my ears.

Any fixes to this?  I've been sliding the cups off my ears when i switch it manually but it doesn't always happen of my volition.

Anyway to insert a pause before the input is switched in pulseaudio for instance?

Thanks,

--
Bearcat M. Şándor
Feline Soul Systems LLC