Re: Questions about LV2

On 05/14/2013 11:34 AM, Julien Claassen wrote:
Hello everyone!
   I've got one or two questions about LV2 plugins in general.
   I've been experimenting with a couple of sound generating plugins,
using mod-host, i.e. not using the plugins' own UIs. Now I noticed, that
a couple of plugins did not show all their necessary controls in LV2 ports.
   Examples are the ZynAddSubFX LV2 plugin
http://home.gna.org/zyn/zynadd/1
   or the simple sampler by Rui:
http://samplv1.sourceforge.net/lv2
   In Zyn there were no LV2-control to control the engine.

Hello Julien,

The Zyn LV2 port is fairly old, maybe it just doesn't work properly anymore with the current LV2 standard.

 the sampler
offered a fair deal of controls, but didn't allow me to sample or load a
sample.

Afaik samplv1 doesn't allow you to load a sample when not using its own GUI. And it doesn't have a record feature either.

Regards,

Jeremy

 I could connect an instrument to the input ports and apply the
effects (chorus, flanger, phaser and delay) to it.
   So: is there - in theory - an LV2-port type, that allows sending
strings - i.e. filenames. Is there another standardised way for plugins
and their UIs to communicate? If not, are there thoughts about such
things in the LV2 developing community for just such cases, where one
can't or doesn't want to use the original UIs of a plugin?
   Warm regards
          Julien