Re: samples/instruments/romplers etc..

Hey James, just so you know it's there:
http://prodatum.sf.net

Jan

On 13.5.13 23:38, James Stone wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a quick poll of opinion - I'm thinking of buying a cheap rompler -
Roland JV-1080 or Proteus 2000. I kind of think that the things these
offer should be possible with software, but beyond getting some
soundfonts, I'm not really sure if this is true. Problems I see with the
purely computer based approach is all the samples I have found so far
(admittedly only looking at what's available free) is not really
anywhere near what is available in these kind of hardware modules. Sure
the size of samples etc. available now is much larger, but the
musicality and tweakability/ synthesis options are not so much there
(although possible I guess).

So, am I wrong?

What I would be interested in is:

1) Decent collections of samples (soundfonts or whatever) that are
professional standard (i.e. up to the quality of Roland/Korg/Emu)
covering a variety of "bread and butter" type sounds - orchestral,
keyboard, piano, synth. I am happy to pay for them - but if the overall
price goes over 100GBP, I think I am probably better off with the
hardware option..
2) Thoughts - soundfonts vs. gigs vs. ? and what software to play them
in Linux? Any samplers that also have synthesis options - resonant
filters/ envelopes etc? I guess I know about things like linuxsampler
and fluidsynth, but are there any other more complex options?
3) Lastly - any off topic suggestions about decent hardware ROMplers/
synths - opinions about the JV-1080 vs. Proteus 2000 vs. ? from those
who have used them..

Best wishes,

James