Re: USB cassette player only recognized as mono device

On 22 April 2013 19:54, Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've just purchased an inexpensive USB cassette player in order to
archive/preserve some audio cassette recordings of some interviews I did
years ago, and I've run into a slight issue with the detection of the
device.

The device identifies as a JMTek USB Audio Device (Vendor 0c76, Device
160a).  I'm using openSUSE 12.2.

When I plug the device in and connect to it with Audacity, and I only get
a mono channel (rather than a stereo setup).  Looking at the output of
"lsusb -v", I see that the input terminal is identified as a microphone
with one channel.  (Output of lsusb -v is at the end of this post)

If I start a Windows XP VM in Virtualbox and connect the device to that,
it is recognized (in Windows) as a stereo device, and I can record left
and right channels, so the hardware should be recognized as having stereo
channels via USB.  There are no special drivers installed for the Windows
VM (it was just "plug and play").

Are you sure you get actual stereo output in Windows? I also got a cheap usb cassette player last year, and I got a stereo recording, but both channels were the same.