Re: jackd does not start

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:43:43 +0200, <jonetsu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello everyone,

To my surprise, jackd could not start this morning (using
qjackctl).

User name was added to the audio group. The audio devices are:

% cat /proc/asound/cards

  0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                       HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7d10000 irq 53

  1 [M1010LT        ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010LT
                       M Audio Delta 1010LT at 0xd040, irq 18

Interface in qjackctl is specified as 'hw:M1010LT'

Here's what happened:

  Sun Mar 31 07:37:23 2013: JACK server starting in realtime mode
  with priority 10

  Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory

  Cannot connect to server request channel

  jack server is not running or cannot be started

  Sun Mar 31 07:37:23 2013: ERROR: Failed to acquire
  device name : Audio1 error : Method "RequestRelease" with
  signature "i" on interface "org.freedesktop.ReserveDevice1"
  doesn't exist

I would bet you are using the same device with pulseaudio. Pulseaudio is supposed to let go of the card when you start jack, but this is not working properly. Fixed in pulseaudio-3.0 (Ubuntu 13.04).
There are a few ways to get around this.

First of all, in a clean session, make sure pulseaudio is not using your device when you start jack. I mean nothing. no open bwowser tabs with flash video, etc. This usually works. Once jack is started, you can have pulseaudio connect to jack (if you have pulseaudio-module-jack installed, and you started jackdbus), by setting jack as the output in the pulseaudio mixer.
If you don't want pulseaudio connect to jack, you should probably either..

Set pulseaudio to use another device than what you want jack to use

Use the command "pasuspender -- qjackctl" making pulseaudio suspend when starting qjackctl.

Set pulseaudio to not autospawn in /etc/pulse/client.conf, then kill pulse. Then start jack.