Re: [Channel Linux - Feedback]

On 03/15/2013 10:50 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sat, 2013-03-16 at 19:36 +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
I think we could do better than excluding media simply because some people
might not be able to view it. We definitely have the hardware and skillz
to do the transcoding that would be necessary to make the content
available to anyone in any format. I'm just not sure it is the best way to
handle the problem. Perhaps it should be made clearer to producers that if
they want their content distributed there are a few formats that are more
widely acceptable. For example ogv will definitely work on a "Linux"
community channel. Anyone who doesn't have that will need to sort their
end out.

It should be made clear that Linux isn't a replacement for Windows as
e.g. DR-DOS was a replacement for MS-DOS.

Perhaps my Firefox does bitch about missing pulgins, because it guess
flash is needed, but it isn't, the videos can be played without flash
and also without gnash.

Firefox's ability to play HTML5 video can be dependent on the video hardware and driver in use. On my little old laptop, running Debian Sid here on its trusty old Intel 855GM video hardware, the only video formats that play are Flash because playing the other formats isn't supported by the video driver. Apparently many of the non-Flash formats require that the video hardware and driver have functionality that Flash apparently provides independently of video hardware/driver.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx