Re: Raspberry Pi and real-time, low-latency audio

On 03/13/2013 12:01 PM, Atte wrote:
Interesting!

Am I right it's only $25?

How about compiling software on the arm, is is possible to compile and
run stuff like ams, fluidsynth, pd, csound, sooperlooper, freewheelin
and such on raspberrypi?

How's the quality of the onboard audiocard? Is there also audio in?

Hello Atte,

The Model A is $25 yes. But that model comes without an ethernet connection. All the software you mention runs on the Raspberry Pi and no need to compile it because packages are available in the default repos of the distros that are available for the RPi (Debian, Arch, Fedora). Don't expect great performance, especially GUI driven software might be problematic. pd should be no issue though, Miller Puckette even released a SD card image specifically for the RPi. If you want to compile newer versions, that's possible too, but something like guitarix already takes hours to compile natively. The Raspberry Pi has no audio in and the quality of the audio out is not really HiFi, it's actually 11bit. Also because the kernel module for the onboard soundchip has no ALSA mmap support you can't use it directly with JACK. Audio out (and in) is easy to solve though with a $3 USB audio interface. I'm awaiting a Behringer UCG102 clone that I'd like to use with the RPi which would solve both the audio in and out issues too. I've also ordered a HDMI to DVI cable with a separate audio output just to test if the output of such a cable would be usable.

Jeremy