Re: Building Audio from a Server Core?

On 02/28/2013 12:33 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
Ok, this looks like just adding audio SW. Take a look at the ubuntustudio
metas with whatever SW installer you use. (synaptic would be easiest I
tihnk)

I'd only take a look at those meta packages, not install them. They pull in massive amounts of unneeded packages. And on a minimal system I'd use apt-get or aptitude instead of Synaptic.

 You most likey do not want the -desktop, icons or settings, just
the audio related ones. Though it may be just as easy to choose the apps
you want.

>the audio group, but my usb Audiobox does not seem to be working,
>although it is recognised with aplay -l.  Should it work without any
>additional steps?
Working? Meaning what? Does lubuntu use pulse like most of the other
*buntus?

Yes but not if you use the lubuntu-core meta package as it doesn't depend on PulseAudio.

 Have you set your USB card as the default sound device with
pavucontrol? Which application are you playing audio on? If the machine
you are using has an internal card, that would be the default, not your
USB card. Are the levels raised in the alsa mixer? Not muted?

A lot of USB audio interfaces can't be controlled with alsamixer as they only have hardware mixing. Quickly browsed the user manual of the AudioBox and I see no references to controlling the interface from the OS.

Regards,

Jeremy