Re: Running the guitarix LADSPA plugins on a headless system

On 02/15/2013 10:48 PM, Sean Bolton wrote:
Hi Jeremy,

On Fri Feb 15 2013, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to use the Guitarix-Amp
and Guitarix-FX LADSPA plugins on a headless system (read Raspberry
Pi). I've tried it with Ecasound but it already consumes more CPU
than the guitarix application itself! So I'm obviously doing
something wrong. Maybe this is because the Guitarix-Amp plugin has
one input and two outputs, read something about Ecasound starting up
multiple instances of the plugin in such a case which is not what I
want. So any hints or tips on getting this to run smoothly? I can use
either JACK or ALSA directly. I prefer using JACK, somehow using bare
ALSA produces large amounts of xruns.

How about jack-dssi-host?

$ DSSI_PATH=/usr/lib/ladspa jack-dssi-host guitarix_amp.so

jack-dssi-host will then print out (among other things) its OSC path. Use this path with dssi_osc_send to set the plugin parameters (append '/control' to the path):

$ dssi_osc_send osc.udp://youraddresshere.com:13160/dssi/guitarix_amp/guitarix_amp/chan00/control 5 -20

which sets control port 5 to -20. You can query the current state of the plugin:

$ dssi_osc_update osc.udp://youraddresshere.com:13160/dssi/guitarix_amp/guitarix_amp/chan00

and don't forget analyseplugin to get the port numbers. HTH,

-Sean

Hi Sean,

Thanks! Didn't think about that while I've used jack-dssi-host on several other occasions. I'll give it a whirl!

Jeremy