Re: Some new Bach

On 02/14/2013 10:11 AM, Folderol wrote:
Possibly 'pedestrian' was the wrong word, maybe 'rigid' would be better (then
again maybe not).

For me, *personally*, the limited range of Bach I've heard, while sounding very
impressive, doesn't flow or drift in a way that I would enjoy. I especially
like loose timing (as much of my own music demonstrates) where you can hold a
note, chord, expression almost to breaking point.

Ida Presti plays the Andante from BWV 1003 :

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aZMIuAHXcY

Not great audio but a lovely performance.

Perhaps you've just heard a lot of bad playing ?

"You play Bach's music your way, sir, and I'll play it his way" Wanda Landowska, to a critic of her interpretation.

Check out recordings by Segovia, ditto Casals.

Best,

dp