Re: mp3 codec question

On 02/11/2013 09:35 AM, Aaron L. wrote:
OK.....

Friend sends rough mix of drums and bass in mp3 form.

Tells me to record new guitars to this.....(he expects a wav file in
return).

This "master in mp3 form" makes me a bit nervous.  Why?

Because I don't know enough about the mp3 encoding process.........

Is it "lossy" simply because it rounds-off stuff?

Or does it actually drop samples (like various lossy video encoders?)

If so, the wav file that I send him could get weird sample-wise when he
imports it into the "real" session, no?

Am I picking nits here?

My guess is he sent you an MP3 version (for you to play to) of something that he has in WAV format in his audio workstation. So you just record your track in WAV and send that to him, he'll pull it into his DAW and align things with the original WAV.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx