Re: So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

On 02/07/2013 04:02 AM, Al Thompson wrote:
On 02/07/2013 12:19 AM, david wrote:
One could be a professional with/without skills and/or an hobbyist
with/without skills, no matter who you are you need apps which doesn't
turn sound engineer or a guitar player or composer into a *nix OS
student.

I'm sorry, but if you're a professional, *you know how to use your
tools*. Would you hire a carpenter who didn't know which end of a
hammer to use for driving a nail, or hauled out a chainsaw for doing
some fine veneer work while building a cabinet? What would you think
of a guitarist who never learned to set up their Fancy Big Stomp Box
because of all those "technical" things like sustain or reverb, etc?
"I just want to make sounds! Why do I have to know the difference
between sustain and reverb? I should be able to get what I want
without having to do anything!" ;-)

Conversely, I know a couple of guitarists who have NO idea how to do a
setup or neck adjustment on their guitar,

Sheesh! I can play guitar but I'm not a real guitarist- and I did that kind of stuff to my electric guitar (when I had one)!

and don't even own a soldering
iron or even care to know how to fix a cable.

Yah, our lead guitarist is just like that. All he knows how to do is break'em.

I have a soldering iron and can solder, but I don't feel up to risking my skills on either of the keyboards I use!

Fortunately, our rhythm guitarist's day job is electronics tech.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx