Re: sample rate conversion question.......

On 03.02.2013 22:25, Aaron L. wrote:
I recorded a session at 48k in Pro Tools.

I'd like to re-do some of the guitars in Ardour.

The engineer gave me a 'reference mix' (just drums and bass) at 44100.  (It's a stereo wav file.)

The files that I'd like to edit are at 48k (the guitars......2 mono).

I created a new session for these edits/overdubs at 44100 since that's what the reference mix was set to.  I then imported the 48k files (which were sample rate converted into 44100 upon import) into the new session.

Will there be any weirdness latency-wise (or worse?) if I do the edits to the 48k files (guitars) after sample rate conversion into a 44100 project (to match the reference mix) and then have them (the guitars) re-sampled back to 48 for final mix-down?  I plan on just sending him the wav files.

It this something to be concerned about?

Would it be best to just keep everything at 48 until everything is finalized?

I'd really rather not end up mixing down and thinking "does this need to be nudged here and there?"

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

hallo,

i am not sure if i understand all this right... but from my perspective i would keep everything at 48k and upsample the reference mix to 48k too. cause it is just a reference mix and you can throw it into trash once you are finished. right?

anyway, either way you do it, there will only be quality loss and no need for nudging anything around.

cheers,

doc