Re: zedboard fpga dev board and linux audio

On 02/02/13 07:32, Charles Z Henry wrote:

One topic of research where I'm at (ITTC/KU) concerns compilation from
Haskell (a relational language) to verilog or vhdl for synthesis on
fpga's--not going through the usual chain of defining a processor but
actually building the specific functions (greater utilization this way as I
understood it).  Maybe someday Faust (the audio relational language) will
have a similar compiler target like this too

have you seen this:

http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/euterpea-2/

so the combination of using Euterpea in Haskell then compiling to vhdl or verilog seems quite promising, and possibly a way to make audio use of FPGAs in the context of a language that may be a more natural way to write for logic implementations than many. I suspect Haskell's style of functional language and the very serious efforts working with compilers for it could lead somewhere.

It's been on my TODO list for a few months now, recommended by my lecturer for Programming Paradigms (we used F#), but the compiling to vhdl is news ... too much to look at, too little time!

Simon