Re: ffmpeg or libav

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 10:13:55 +0100, Dan MacDonald <allcoms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]
you are free to use Ubuntu, Red Hat or another
distro that is more open to non-free or coryright software.

And we are free to compile software ourself.

It's Debian's social contract that also stops stuff like the Amazon spyware
making its way into the Debian repos along with the fact its not run by a
corporation which definitely makes if different from Ubuntu and even more
so the Apple and Google app stores.

For me one good reason to think about switching back from Ubuntu to Debian, but I still wait, to see which distro will solve some upstream issues. At the moment a lot of software I used for years is completely broken for Ubuntu. Perhaps I'll use Arch with systemd in the future, I dropped Arch when it stopped beeing a rolling release, IOW when they switched to systemd.

There are web pages dedicated to the underhand, often criminal tactics that
have been employed by MS and Apple over the decades yet I know of no such
list of nasties for Debian or any other community distro other than the
usual whines of disgruntled users which you get with any OS. Some of you
may not like Debian but they are certainly not in the same league as MS for
nastiness by any stretch of the imagination

Ubuntu seems to do a step into this direction, OTOH since I won the iPad2 I experienced infamies that are completely no gos. I don't know current Windows, but at least old Microsoft wasn't that evil as Apple is. I never ever would buy something from Apple, btw. I don't buy, but anyway got issues with this evil click and buy crime and to use the iPad users are forced to register with a valid plastics. +1000000000 for all free OS. If people wish to register as e.g. a Linux user, they are free to do it without a plastics and I'm free to completely not register.

No, I'm not migrating to FreeBSD ;), but if something should be fishy with Linux, in my case it's a RME cards that isn't good enough supported for Linux, we still can try other *NIX. We not only have the freedom to switch distros or to switch to other *NIX that are close to Linux, we also could maintain or at least help to maintain packages. The non-free software issue IMO isn't a real problem, because we easily can add repositories. Switching for audio work to another *NIX might be not the smartest idea, but switching the distro is easy to do, as long as the Linux user doesn't place value on hype, IOW "distro A is better as distro B and this will be valid for ever and if distro A should ever become less good, than all other distros must become more less good". We are not married with a distro and are allowed to have fun with every distro ;).

Regards,
Ralf

--
FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE amd64