Re: [OT] Open Source Portable Recorder?

On 01/08/2013 03:54 PM, Folderol wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:36:16 -0600
wes schreiner <wes@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 01/08/2013 07:16 AM, Burkhard Woelfel wrote:
WRT use cases:
I'd love to build something like the time machine jack client, only in
hardware.

This already exists. Both the Zoom H4N and the Tascam DR-40 have a mode
where they are constantly recording into a circular buffer, just like
Time Machine. When you push a button the buffer is stored and recording
proceeds like normal, so your recording starts several seconds before
you push the button, just like Time Machine.

wes

Slightly diverging, does any portable recorder have a RT clock so you can stop
and start it as you please but still know exactly when a sound occurred. I'm
particularly thinking of field recordings of wildlife and spoken commentary.

The two that I'm familiar with, the Zoom H4N and the Tascam DR-40, both have clock/calendars and the recordings get a time/date stamp in their names. So you know when the recording starts and from that can figure out when any event in the recording occurred.

wes