Re: Ensoniq ASR-10 Boot Disk Required

> On Saturday 05 January 2013 13:22:27 Nick Copeland did opine:
> Message additions Copyright Saturday 05 January 2013 by Gene Heskett
>
> > Hi All,
> > Just got my ASR-10 back from a few years on loan. Somewhere down the
> > line, probably at some gig, they lost the Iomega ZIP-100 and the
> > original set of floppies I had. These are nigh on impossible to
> > recreate since they are not actually any windows format to make them
> > Ensoniq bootable. Does anybody have a 3.5 boot disk with a version of
> > OS later than 2.01 (I think this was the version that supported the
> > SCSI driver). I will happily pay postage and all that. I want to get
> > this running to work on the Bristol CS-80 emulator using the
> > polypressure features of the ASR. Kind regards, nick
>
> A fried of mine had an Ensoniq, and he suggested that you should check with
> rubber chicken software, who apparently have such for download.
> <http://chickensys.com/kb/eps-asr/index.html>
> which might get you the stuff you need. Good luck.

I have a feeling this need an IDE (PATA) floppy. I have four PC in house and
none of them have a floppy. Tested the software using VM and it failed the
boot disk write operation since Ensoniq had a very proprietary format.

If nobody has a set then I either have to order some (not expensive but also
not guaranteed to work since they depend on the firmware I have) or buy a
secondhand PC that has a floppy as I doubt a USB floppy work work either
(since it does not have direct control of what actually gets written to the
disk). The nice thing about IDE is that it does not do a great deal more
than seek to track and then write the whole track which is what I think the
ChickenSys software probably does.

There are options on the site to write a bootable ZIP drive but they are for
Win98 only.

Kind regards, nick.