Re: Recommended soundcard

Hi Ralf,

you are right, I should have been a bit more precise. First of all, it is not my ff ucx, I was lucky that I could borrow one from a friend for two weeks. During that time, I managed to get help from the ALSA community and fix mixer.c and at the end of that two week period, I could do some testing. Right now, I do not have access to a ucx and can not do further testing but I think I will get my own device after xmas. I hope that I can do proper testing then and send a "report".

My tests so far included the following:

As I already mentioned, I only used the class-compliance mode. Up to my knowledge, usb-audio 2.0 is limited to 8/8 in/out-channels and sample rates up to 96 kHz. ALSA driver recognizes these 8/8 channels. The device moreover appears in the JACK-setup and I was to start JACK-server running 8/8 channels with sample rates up to 96 kHz. I played back soundfiles through the ucx without any problems. I moreover send sine-signals with different frequencies from supercollider to all the 8 channels and these correctly appeared at the 8 jack-outputs (which are on the backside of the device). Finally, I made loopback recordings from pulses, sine-waves and triangular waves also using supercollider and different jack blocksizes / sample rates. The latency I read from the pulse-loopback records was 7 to 8 ms (blocksize: 64, samplerate: 42100/s). The sine- and triangular-loopback-recordings show clean signals, only a very close analysis of the triangular signals shows a slight distortion but this also appeared when the card was connected to a mac computer using RME's proprietary driver. Maybe the cause was actually the capacitance of the low quality cables used for the loopback, I don't know.

I certainly did not test all the features of the ucx, it is not possible to access all of the channels and I also do not know how to access TotalMix and the build-in DSP-features, most likely it is impossible in the class-compliant mode.

I hope this description is somehow clear,

Best,

Florian