Re: midi velocity

On 12/13/2012 08:47 AM, Asa Marco wrote:
Il giorno Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:04:50 -0600 (CST)
Brent Busby <brent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

Could just be me and my ongoing discoveries of weirdness...but has
anyone else had the experience of finding that Linux studio apps seem
to require much higher velocity from keyboards than the same
keyboards do in the world of physical gear?

I'm using a Yamaha SY99 as a master keyboard, and I'm finding that
with most of the soundfonts I've tried in FluidSynth, I'm having to
play the keyboard *hard* to get multisamples that have been setup to
play a certain sample only at high velocities to switch into their
higher velocity sound.  I never have to play that hard when I'm using
the SY99 by itself, or when using it to drive any other keyboard or
drum machine.

Is it just some kind of Alsa Midi thing, or do soundfont creators out
there just really like banging their keyboards?

Hi, I once had the same problem with a sampled piano, So I started
playing with qmidicurves http://sourceforge.net/projects/qmidicurves/.
There are probably other ways to do it but this is pretty
straightforward.

Well, my Yamaha PSR-225 has that problem with it's built-in sounds - I have to pound it to get its loud samples, despite the three different curve settings it has built in. Maybe it's a Yamaha thing?

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx