Re: RTC/HPET timer permissions

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
On 11/25/2012 01:23 PM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
Using the RTC or HPET devices directly is necessary only if
the kernel does not use them for timers.  Nowadays, kernels do, and
applications use the proper timer APIs.

What are those timer API's?

POSIX timers, interval timers, nanosleep(), usleep(), poll() timeout.

You'd need this only if you're using some audio application that hasn't
been updated for many years.

So this section has become deprecated?
http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration#hardware_timers

Only if all applications actually have been updated.
Wasn't there some sequencer (Rosegarden? Muse?) that still uses RTC?

Can you imagine any reason why an app using /dev/rtc or /dev/hpet would need write access, or would it be sufficient to do something like 0640 root:realtime ?

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky