Ubuntu slowing down when using Ardour

>> > My setup is as follows:
>>
>>     > - Ardour3 Beta5
>>     > - Ubuntu 12.10 64bit
>>     > - Using the Radeon open driver (FGLRX creates a lot of xruns)
>>     >
>>     > Now, I am not trying to start a conversation "Should I use
>>     Compiz when
>>     > playing music" or "Ubuntu is crap, what else should I use?" :)
>>     > I like Ubuntu, I like Unity and I like Ardour3!
>>     >
>>     > I am just checking if other people are experiencing the same
>>     issue, if there
>>     > is a solution to this problem, what additional testing I should
>>     do or  what
>>     > additional information I should provide.
>>

>>     Wonder if the CPU frequency scaling is causing this issue. I had an
>>     issue on a Dell machine at work where the box would run really slowly
>>     if it got the slightest bit hot from being pushed too hard (usually
>>     doing big Subversion commits or running sipp against a remote server).
>>     The governor would take it down to the lowest frequency level to help
>>     the machine cool down. This would even happen if I turned on the
>>     performance governor. It wasn't a Linux issue at all, because people
>>     who had the same hardware had the same problem on Windows.
>>

>> The thing is, the CPU never really goes over 40% usage, the rest of
>> the machine is still working ok, only Unity/Compix are getting much
>> slower.
>>
>> After much testing, it seems to be only the Ubuntu Unity Dash getting
>> slower, and only after a crash of Ardour3...
>>
>Using Unity 2D or 3D? 2D is supposed to use less.
>My suggestion: drop Unity, use XFCE instead.
> Maybe it helps when you clean up the cache after Ardour crashes?
>
> sudo sync; echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try that out next time.

@David: In Ubuntu 12.10, Unity 2D doesn't exist anymore. And thanks for the suggestion, but I actually doesn't want to drop Unity for XFCE - I really like the look and feel of Unity... But that's a discussion for another time :)

Right now, I have re-installed the FGLRX driver... Looks like the performance issue is gone, even after an Ardour crash, and I apparently don't get xruns.... I'll keep you posted!