Re: Ubuntu slowing down when using Ardour

> My setup is as follows:
> - Ardour3 Beta5
> - Ubuntu 12.10 64bit
> - Using the Radeon open driver (FGLRX creates a lot of xruns)
>
> Now, I am not trying to start a conversation "Should I use Compiz when
> playing music" or "Ubuntu is crap, what else should I use?" :)
> I like Ubuntu, I like Unity and I like Ardour3!
>
> I am just checking if other people are experiencing the same issue, if there
> is a solution to this problem, what additional testing I should do or  what
> additional information I should provide.

Wonder if the CPU frequency scaling is causing this issue. I had an
issue on a Dell machine at work where the box would run really slowly
if it got the slightest bit hot from being pushed too hard (usually
doing big Subversion commits or running sipp against a remote server).
The governor would take it down to the lowest frequency level to help
the machine cool down. This would even happen if I turned on the
performance governor. It wasn't a Linux issue at all, because people
who had the same hardware had the same problem on Windows.

The thing is, the CPU never really goes over 40% usage, the rest of the machine is still working ok, only Unity/Compix are getting much slower.

After much testing, it seems to be only the Ubuntu Unity Dash getting slower, and only after a crash of Ardour3...