Re: debian wheezy vs pulseaudio vs jackdbus

On 10/30/2012 10:21 PM, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
2012/10/31 david <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

    On 10/30/2012 07:55 PM, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

        2012/10/30 david <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>>

             You can use Ubuntu repositories with Debian.

        I wonder what you use to resolve depedencies then...

        -r

    I never used it for anything ambitious. Anything I've really needed,
    Debian has had. And I don't need anything unique to Ubuntu, such as
    the Unity interface.

indeed, there's no use in it and it is quite dangerous (euphemism here)
and you should not reccommend it to other users.

it's well known that the majority of ubuntu packages is taken from
debian unstable and, no matter how you try and how simple is your
target, installing unstable packages on testing or stable will result in
a neverend dependencies war - 100%.

I ran a mix of Sid + Unstable for a while, it was OK if you didn't do silly things like "apt-get upgrade". Aptosid smooths things out a bit, too.

Didn't know Ubuntu was using unstable. It would kind of surprise me. I've done dist-upgrades and upgrades on my wife's netbook (running Ubuntu 12.04) without any of the problems I used to get using unstable ...

But I prefer the Debian philosophy to Ubuntu's, and find Unity useless (and incompatible with applications that we use everyday).

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx