Re: Audio distro for a Macbook pro

On 10/30/2012 02:22 AM, chris kennedy wrote:
Could try Ardour or Mixbus?

From: Al Thompson <althompson58@xxxxxxxxx>
To: linux-audio-user <Linux-audio-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, 30 October 2012 3:49 PM
Subject: Audio distro for a Macbook pro

So a friend of mine at work has decided she wants to check out audio and
MIDI on Linux.  BUT, she has a Macbook Pro, and I've never paid any
attention to distros that were for Macs.  What's a good audio/MIDI (plus
general purpose) distro that is easy to get running on a Macbook Pro?

I intend to get her going with Ardour, Rosegarden, or QTractor, but it's the basic distro I'm stuck on.  I don't know what ones people have had good luck with on a MacBook Pro.  I assume that, since the hardware is less generic than a standard PC, that some distros work better than others.  I tried searching Distrowatch and google, but didn't come up with anything conclusive.  I don't want her to have tons of problems getting things to work, as I live about an hour away from her (plus I rather doubt my wife would much appreciate me going over there and spending a lot of time!).

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]