Re: Too many xruns

On 10/11/2012 10:06 AM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
A comment at the above link says, "If [the grep command]
returns CONFIG_IRQ_FORCED_THREADING=y and CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
then your kernel is using IRQ threading and you don't have
to proceed with the following steps. If it only returns
CONFIG_IRQ_FORCED_THREADING=y you can add the threadirqs boot
option as described..."  My grep was in the 2nd case, with
only CONFIG_IRQ_FORCED_THREADING set to "y", so I proceeded
with the rest of the "threadirqs" instructions related to grub.
That didn't seem to work.

Ok, thanks for the info, I should change that section in the Wiki then. I think you need at least PREEMPT__LL, so with PREEMPT_NONE or PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY threadirqs could not work. And you're using PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY.

> >      I altered my /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file to include
> >      "threadirqs" on the stanza for my kernel, like so, but
> >      without all the line breaks.
> >
> >      linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.5-2.fc17.x86_64
> >      root=UUID=77edf07a-a49b-48dd-82c8-2f9e5c8691b7 ro nomodeset
> >      rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 SYSFONT=True  KEYTABLE=us rd.luks=0
> >      LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rhgb quiet threadirqs nouveau.modeset=0
> >      rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau
> >

>Slightly OT, but wow, that's a whole lot of kernel options;)  I only use
>two or three.
I left all of that in there from Fedora's installation of the kernel.

>Check if your kernel is preemtible (at least, I think that might be a
>probable cause) or install a kernel that is preemtible
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT_NOTIFIERS=y
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y
# CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set

>(there's no real-time kernel available for FC17?).
CCRMA has kernel-rt-3.4.11-1.rt19.2.fc17.ccrma.x86_64 but it
doesn't play nicely with my nVidia card and X config.  I changed
the X config to use the nouveau driver, which got it to boot to
level 5 at least.  But the geometry is not good and that driver
ignores my 2nd display.  I found A LOT of potentially useful
information with a websearch for enabling an nVidia driver with a
CCRMA kernel.  Sorting that out is a possibility.

I'd go for that. Fwiw, I have been using the nouveau driver succesfully quite a while now. But then I'm using an older card.

Best,

Jeremy
Thanks....

--